MQ stock exploded higher in after-hours trading on November 10, 2021, after the company released earnings and revenue numbers.
Marqeta Third Quarter Earnings Report Shows 56 Percent Jump in Net Revenue Year Over Year, Highlighting Strong, Continued Growth
In its third quarter earnings report, the global modern card issuing platform reported net revenue of $132 million, up 56 percent year-over-year, with 60 percent growth in total processing volume and a 67 percent increase in gross profit.
OAKLAND, Calif.–(BUSINESS WIRE)– Marqeta, Inc. (NASDAQ: MQ), the global modern card issuing platform, today reported financial results for the third quarter ended September 30, 2021.
Marqeta reported Q3 EPS of (8c) versus the consensus estimate of (13c). The company reported Q3 revenue of $131.51M versus the consensus estimate of $119.56M. Marqeta reported total processing volume of $27.6 billion, with net revenue of $132 million. This represented an increase of 60% and 56%, respectively, from the same quarter of 2020. The company saw gross profit of $59 million during the quarter, up 67% year-over-year. The company reported a gross margin of 45% for the quarter ended September 30, 2021, up from 42% in the same quarter of 2020. Marqeta reported a gross margin for the first nine months of 2021 of 43%, up from 40% for the corresponding period of 2020. It also reported a GAAP net loss of $45.7 million and Adjusted EBITDA of $(4.9) million for the quarter ended September 30, 2021.
“Modern card issuing is at the heart of today’s digital economy, and our third quarter results put that on display, both with the growth we’re seeing, and the way our platform is bringing to life unique new payments use cases for an incredible array of innovators,” said Jason Gardner, Founder and CEO of Marqeta.
Marqeta highlighted several recent key business updates that show off its momentum in the market:
- Marqeta announced significant new customers: Bill.com will leverage Marqeta’s solution to help its financial institution partners and their customers to streamline their payment processes by using virtual cards, and Figure selected Marqeta to power its Figure Pay digital account which has built-in Buy Now, Pay Later (BNPL) functionality.
- Marqeta spotlighted the rise of a new category of card solutions allowing its customers’ cardholders to make purchases at the point of sale in fiat currency using their cryptocurrency wallets, or earn cryptocurrency rewards on their spending, with category leaders Coinbase, Fold, Shakepay and Bakkt all leveraging its modern card issuing platform.
- The Marqeta platform supported the launch of new card programs from existing major customers: Uber Freight launched a unique driver card for its carriers, which lets carriers get paid out for their earnings 99.7% faster than the industry standard.
- Marqeta’s European business continues to show strong growth. The number of transactions processed by Marqeta’s European customers in the third quarter of 2021 increased by over 340% year-over-year. Similarly, since September 30, 2020, Marqeta has doubled its European customer base.
- Marqeta continued to expand its product and partner ecosystem. After launching its first credit program in the second quarter of this year, Marqeta continued to onboard new credit card programs, with M1 Finance going live in third quarter, and Marqeta was named as a launch partner for Mastercard’s Installments Program, which builds in the tech infrastructure among payment acquirers to support BNPL programs.
Marqeta, Inc. is engaged in providing modern card issuing and payment processing solutions. The company is headquartered in Oakland, California. The company went IPO on 2021-06-09.
MQ Stock Technical Analysis
The short term is neutral, but the long term trend is still positive. Not much to worry about for now. MQ has an average technical rating and it also does not offer a high quality setup at the moment. Price movement has been a little bit too volatile to find a nice entry and exit point. It is probably a good idea to wait for a consolidation first. Click here to sign up for email alerts on when MQ stock is a good entry.