PCRX stock is swinging higher after the company reported earnings on August 6, 2020.
Personally, I wouldn’t chase this stock higher in here as it’s already trading at a P/S of 5.62. Still, the company’s earnings release is impressive and the stock could be stalked for the next swing down for a swing long entry.
On August 6, 2020, Pacira BioSciences, a leading provider of innovative non-opioid pain management options, reported financial results for the second quarter of 2020.
“We are very pleased to report that since the peak of the impact from COVID-19 in April, we’ve seen a steady and continued increase in EXPAREL sales. This is a testimony to the resolve of our physician partners who are dedicated to ensuring that patients receive their much-needed surgeries, particularly in the ambulatory setting,” said Dave Stack, chairman and chief executive officer of Pacira BioSciences. “This pandemic has accelerated the shift of inpatient procedures to the 23-hour stay environment and we are well positioned to lead the way with our innovative opioid alternatives.”
“Today, we are in a stronger position than ever as we wind down our partnership with DePuy Synthes and take full ownership of the EXPAREL franchise. Our recent financing strengthens our financial foundation and supports our strategy to expand our footprint in non-opioid pain management and regenerative health solutions while simultaneously ramping the top and bottom lines,” continued Mr. Stack.
Second Quarter 2020 Financial Results:
- Total revenues were $75.5 million in the second quarter of 2020, a 26% decrease versus the $102.6 million reported for the second quarter of 2019.
- EXPAREL net product sales were $73.0 million in the second quarter of 2020, a 26% decrease versus the $98.9 million reported for the second quarter of 2019.
- Second quarter 2020 iovera° net product sales were $1.4 million, a 31% decrease versus the $2.0 million reported for the second quarter of 2019.
- Sales of bupivacaine liposome injectable suspension to a third-party licensee for use in veterinary practice were $0.8 million in the second quarter of 2020, compared to $0.9 million in the second quarter of 2019.
- Second quarter 2020 royalty revenues were $0.3 million, compared to $0.8 million in the second quarter of 2019.
- Total operating expenses were $82.7 million in the second quarter of 2020, compared to $97.3 million in the second quarter of 2019.
- Research and development (R&D) expenses were $13.6 million in the second quarter of 2020, compared to $17.8 million in the second quarter of 2019. R&D expenses include $6.1 million and $6.8 million of product development and manufacturing capacity expansion costs in the second quarters of 2020 and 2019, respectively.
- Selling, general and administrative (SG&A) expenses were $43.3 million in the second quarter of 2020, compared to $49.1 million in the second quarter of 2019.
- GAAP net loss was $7.3 million, or $0.17 per share (basic and diluted), in the second quarter of 2020, compared to GAAP net income of $2.7 million, or $0.07 per share (basic) and $0.06 per share (diluted), in the second quarter of 2019.
- Non-GAAP net income was $5.0 million, or $0.12 per share (basic and diluted), in the second quarter of 2020, compared to non-GAAP net income of $17.5 million, or $0.42 per share (basic) and $0.41 per share (diluted), in the second quarter of 2019.
- Adjusted EBITDA was $8.5 million in the second quarter of 2020, versus adjusted EBITDA of $21.9 million in the second quarter of 2019.
- Pacira ended the second quarter of 2020 with cash, cash equivalents, short-term and long-term investments (“cash”) of $335.1 million. Cash used in operations was $15.6 million in the second quarter of 2020, compared to cash provided by operations of $22.8 million in the second quarter of 2019.
- Pacira had 42.2 million basic weighted average shares of common stock outstanding in the second quarter of 2020.
- For non-GAAP measures, Pacira had 42.9 million diluted weighted average shares of common stock outstanding in the second quarter of 2020.
Preliminary net product sales for July 2020. Today the company also reported preliminary unaudited net product sales of EXPAREL and iovera° of $38.1 million and $0.8 million, respectively, for the month of July 2020. Given the rapidly changing variables related to the COVID-19 pandemic, the company does not have sufficient visibility to accurately forecast the impact of the pandemic and is currently not providing full-year 2020 financial guidance. In order to provide greater transparency, the company plans to report monthly intra-quarter unaudited net product sales until it has gained sufficient visibility around the impacts of COVID-19.
FDA acceptance of sNDA for EXPAREL use in pediatric patients. In August 2020, Pacira announced the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has accepted the submission of its supplemental new drug application (sNDA) seeking expansion of the EXPAREL label to include single-dose infiltration to provide postsurgical analgesia in children aged six and over. The expected action date by the FDA under the Prescription Drug User Fee Act (PDUFA) is March 22, 2021.
Issuance of $402.5 million aggregate principal amount of 0.750% convertible senior notes due 2025. In July 2020, Pacira issued $402.5 million in aggregate principal amount of convertible senior notes due 2025 in a private placement. Pacira used approximately $211.1 million of the net proceeds to repurchase $185.0 million aggregate principal amount of its outstanding 2.375% Convertible Senior Notes due 2022. Pacira intends to use the remainder of the net proceeds from the offering for general corporate purposes, including working capital, research and development expenditures and the license or acquisition of complementary products and/or technologies.
Conclusion of EXPAREL agreement with DePuy Synthes. In July 2020, Pacira announced the conclusion of its agreement with DePuy Synthes Sales Inc. to jointly market and promote the use of EXPAREL for orthopedic procedures in the United States. Under this collaboration, which began in January 2017, DePuy Synthes field representatives, specializing in joint reconstruction, spine, sports medicine, trauma and cranio-maxillofacial procedures, collaborate with the Pacira field teams to support EXPAREL use and education in orthopedic surgical settings. In addition to partnering with DePuy Synthes in support of orthopedic surgical procedures, Pacira field representatives have remained the overall EXPAREL account managers and commercial leads for soft tissue surgeons, anesthesiologists, and ambulatory surgery centers.