Taser To Become Axon Enterprise AAXN, Giving Away Free Body Cams to Police
April 5, 2017: Axon Enterprise announced today that they are giving away free body cams to any police officer who wants one and a 1 year free trial to their cloud video storage service called evidence.com. It’s big, bold, and brilliant move IMO so I went long Taser stock today. This is the Microsoft and Amazon model of gaining market share by practically giving away your service and going for very, very small profit margins to eliminate other players in this space. Taser only gets a quarter of its sales from its body cams and evidence.com subscription service. Most of Taser’s sales comes from its taser line of products. Many smaller vendors jumped into the body cam space and that’s pretty much all they do is sell body cameras. Taser’s bold move to grab market share by giving away their cameras and 1 year of storage space on evidence.com will eliminate these smaller players, many of which trade over the pink sheets and OTCBB markets.
Taser CEO Smith was on the Jim Cramer show Mad Money today to pitch this new business model. Cramer said it’s sort of like the razor-razor blade model where a company gives away the razor in order to sell blades to its customers over a long period of time. The goal with Axon would be to give away the camera, betting that the department will see the value, and then become paying subscribers to Axon’s software services.
On Thursday, all of my Taser shares will be exchanged for Axon shares with the ticker symbol AAXN.
April 4, 2017: Rumors are circulating that Taser International’s CEO will hold a live broadcast at 12pmET on Apr 5th to “announce biggest news in company history”. What could it be?! May get trading halt if news is really big.
March 02, 2017: England and Wales police departments authorize use of Taser’s X2, a more powerful model than the one currently in use. Also, the X2 has a second shot in case the first should fail. Both the new and old versions employ 50K-volt electric shock. Source: http://news.sky.com/story/more-powerful-taser-guns-for-england-and-wales-police-10787392
February 28, 2017: Taser International Inc reports Q4 EPS of $0.12 versus the $0.11 estimate. Revenue also beat coming in at $82.1 million versus the $71.2 million estimate.
CEO Rick Smith said, “We ended 2016 with record fourth quarter revenues, record order bookings and strong momentum across our business lines in both domestic and international markets… We are delighted to see accelerating adoption of our technology platform by our law enforcement customers. Our investments to build the preeminent technology ecosystem in public safety have driven substantial growth by affording our customers greater capabilities with a better user experience. We look forward to continuing the expansion of our ecosystem with our new Fleet in-car system, more sensors like Signal Sidearm, our new Records Management System and industry leading analytics with new Axon Artificial Intelligence capabilities in 2017 and beyond.”
February 9, 2017: Taser acquired Dextro, Inc, the first computer-vision and deep learning system to make the visual contents in video searchable in real time. Agencies and departments will have the ability to quickly isolate and analyze the most important seconds of footage from massive amounts of video data. This acquisition will form the technology backbone of the new Axon AI platform.
The company also acquired from Fossil Group, Inc. the computer vision team that was part of Fossil Group’s acquisition of Misfit, Inc. The team includes machine-vision researchers focused on improving the accuracy, efficiency and speed of processing images and video. Together, these acquisitions will broaden TASER’s industry-leading DEMS (Digital Evidence Management System) to enable customers to gain more insight from video, photos and audio to improve training, operations and community engagement. Financial terms of the transactions were not disclosed.
February 2, 2017: The US Air Force ordered 1,345 TASER® X26P™ Smart Weapons through Taser’s exclusive sole source distributor, AARDVARK. This order was received and anticipated to ship in the first quarter of 2017. No terms disclosed.
January 10, 2017: Taser International gets FCC approval for Axon Flex 2 HD Camera. Source: https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=cLwif3EftMUVNBXgFR9OSA%3D%3D&fcc_id=X4G-S00146
December 29, 2016: Taser International updates investors on Q4 orders with their cloud video storage service Evidence.com.
Axon, a business unit of TASER International and the global leader in digital evidence management solutions with the leading body-worn camera, today announced multiple large orders of its body-worn video cameras and digital evidence management solution, Evidence.com.
These orders were received in the fourth quarter of 2016 and will be shipped in the fourth quarter of 2016 and first quarter of 2017.
– Chesterfield County Police Department (VA): 450 Flex 2 cameras with five years of Evidence.com on the Officer Safety Plan. Order also includes 450 TASERX2 Smart Weapons.
– Chattanooga Police Department (TN): 360 Axon Body 2 cameras with five years of Evidence.com with Signal technology.
– Garland Police Department (TX): 334 Axon Body 2 cameras with five years of Evidence.com on the Officer Safety Plan. Order also includes Axon Interview, Axon Five and Fleet.
– Orange County Sheriff’s Office (FL): 200 Axon Flex cameras with five years of Evidence.com. Add-on order.
– Winston-Salem Police Department (NC): 203 Axon Body 2 and Flex cameras with five years of Evidence.com on the Officer Safety Plan.
– Grand Prairie Police Department (TX): 200 Axon Body 2 cameras with five years of Evidence.com on the Officer Safety Plan.
– Newport News County Sheriff’s Office (VA): 160 Axon Body 2 cameras with five years of Evidence.com on the Officer Safety Plan.
– Fort Collins Police Department (CO): 130 Axon Body 2 cameras with five years of Evidence.com on the Officer Safety Plan.
– Lafayette Police Department (LA): 95 Axon Body 2 cameras with five years of Evidence.com.
– Provo City Police Department (UT): 80 Axon Body 2 cameras with five years of Evidence.com on the Unlimited Plan.
– University of Cincinnati Public Safety (OH): 80 Axon Body 2 cameras with five years of Evidence.com on the Officer Safety Plan.
University of Texas – Austin (TX): 80 Axon Body 2 cameras with five years of Evidence.com.
– Wayne County Airport Police Department (MI): 73 Axon Body 2 cameras with five years of Evidence.com on the TASER Assurance Plan.
– Chatham County Sheriff’s Office (GA): 70 Axon Body 2 cameras with five years of Evidence.com on the Officer Safety Plan.
December 21, 2016: Taser announced that the Louisiana State Police (LSP) would be among the first public safety agencies in the country to opt for a full deployment of 1,556 Axon Body 2 cameras. The order was received in the fourth quarter of 2016 and the cameras are also expected to ship in the same quarter. Story: http://www.cnbc.com/2016/12/21/taser-shares-pop-after-closing-body-cam-deal-with-louisiana-state-police.html
In addition to equipping more than 700 Troopers throughout the state with TASER’s next-generation body-worn camera devices, the Louisiana State Police purchased a five-year unlimited Evidence.com license with Axon Five image-processing software specifically designed for investigative, forensic and security applications. Each Trooper will also be equipped with a Signal Performance Power Magazine (SPPM), which enables the camera to turn on automatically when an officer’s TASER Smart Weapon is armed. To address the unique needs of the statewide agency, the Louisiana State Police has opted to equip each member of its force with two cameras, totaling 1,556 units, thereby effectively doubling the amount of data a Trooper can capture before it becomes necessary to upload video to Evidence.com. At the same time, this decentralization makes the Louisiana State Police an ideal fit for the full Axon network (including Evidence.com and SPPM), as it enables efficient storage, management, and sharing of evidence without requiring centralized servers or filing systems.
Axon Enterprise Stock Chart
Axon Enterprise makes communities safer with innovative public safety technologies. Founded in 1993, TASER first transformed law enforcement with its electrical weapons. TASER continues to define smarter policing with its growing suite of technology solutions, including AXON body-worn video cameras and EVIDENCE.com, a secure digital evidence management platform.
Latest posts by Lance Jepsen (see all)
- Zosano Pharma Rising Money Flow On Insider Buying - May 29, 2017
- Ivana Trump and Jared Kushner Russian Spies Says MSNBC - May 29, 2017
- Blackberry Stock Back From the Dead On QNX Operating System - May 29, 2017